Written by an outstanding international team of scholars, this Companion explores the profound influence of Socrates on the history of Western philosophy.
- Discusses the life of Socrates and key philosophical doctrines associated with him
- Covers the whole range of Socratic studies from the ancient world to contemporary European philosophy
- Examines Socrates’ place in the larger philosophical traditions of the Hellenistic world, the Roman Empire, the Arabic world, the Renaissance, and contemporary Europe
- Addresses interdisciplinary subjects such as Socrates and Nietzsche, Socrates and psychoanalysis, and representations of Socrates in art
- Helps readers to understand the meaning and significance of Socrates across the ages